Completing Your Degree

Most master’s students are only here for a year, so planning is essential in order to complete your required classes and fit in any desired electives. Multiple resources are available.

Degree requirements for the on-campus programs are listed on the approved program of study sheets published in the Newhouse Graduate Guidebook. This publication outlines Newhouse rules, policies and registration procedures, and contains excerpts of Syracuse University Academic Rules.

Degree Works is an online tool that helps students and advisers monitor progress toward degree completion. It displays coursework in an easy-to-read worksheet.

The Newhouse Master’s Students organization in Blackboard, the University’s learning management system, contains orientation modules and registration resources.

Questions about degree requirements should be directed to your faculty adviser. Procedural questions may be directed to the Newhouse Academic Advising Office,

Who is my adviser?

Program directors serve as faculty advisers. These professors advise on course selections, variations from the published curriculum, career tracks and opportunities and must sign and approve all related paperwork.
The Office of Academic Advising at Newhouse is a resource for on-campus students. The academic advisers track degree progress, facilitate paperwork processes and ultimately certify master’s degrees.
Academic advisers are assigned by student’s last name.
A-Ch Thai Le
Ci-Fz Jessica Del Fuoco
Ga-Jo Richard Mendez
Jp-Mal Theresa Jenkins
Mam-Po Brad Stalter
Pr-Ste Tess Barrett
Sti-Z Gillian Budman Kanter
Academic advisers can be reached at and are in the Office of Academic Advising, 316 Newhouse 3.

How and when do I meet with my adviser?

Upon admittance to the program, you are introduced to your faculty program director. This professor follows up with a welcome note after you enroll in the program.
If you begin in the summer, your first advising session takes place on orientation day. You will have an additional advising session before fall registration takes place in August.
If you begin in the fall, your faculty adviser will reach out during the summer to set up a session or conduct individual advising prior to fall registration.
Depending on your program, you will also have group or individual advising sessions before spring semester registration.
You can always set up an appointment with either your faculty or academic adviser by sending them an email.

Who are the academic coordinators?

Academic coordinators are staff members who provide administrative support to department chairs and graduate program directors. They are located in 318 Newhouse 3.

During registration, what if a course I want to take is closed?

Newhouse has a wait list procedure you must follow. Dates change each term. If an open section of a required course is available, you must register for the open section.

If you are trying to register for a closed non-Newhouse course, you will need to contact the instructor or department for instructions.

How do I register for an independent study or internship?

Our Graduate Guidebook provides instructions for both internship and independent study.

How do I file for my diploma?

In the beginning of the spring semester, the Office of Academic Advising will email and provide instructions.
1. Login to MySlice, go to Student Services / Academics / File Diploma Request.
2. Click on your program and select your graduation term. This is the term in which you will complete your program requirements.
3. Verify your diploma address or add a new one if needed.
4. Verify your name as it will appear on your diploma.
Please note that you cannot receive your degree unless you complete this process.

When is graduation?

While there are four different graduation dates per year, Syracuse University and the Newhouse School only host ceremonies once a year, in May. All summer graduates are invited to attend, even if you are not yet finished. Fall graduates may petition to attend.

Newhouse hosts its own Convocation ceremony where graduating seniors and graduate students receive individual recognition. SU Commencement is for the entire University. More information about Commencement and Convocation can be found online.

When do I graduate? When is my program’s end date?

For most professional students, you know that your program is a year, so your graduation date will be June or August, depending on whether you finish during summer session I or summer session II. The program of study advising sheets in the Graduate Guidebook provide the specifics. Session dates are available on the academic calendar. Your last day in Syracuse may vary based on capstone/internship requirements. Depending on the program, some students complete their programs in a year-and-a-half to two years.

Graduate Guidebook

Click on the link below, select “Graduate” for enrollment status and select your matriculation year. The Graduate Guidebook will provide you with essential information on navigating your graduate degree at the Newhouse School.