Information on Course Override Requests at the Newhouse School.

Newhouse 3 on a fall day

PLEASE NOTE:  The Fall 2024 course override request portals are now open. The portals will remain open through noon on Friday May 17th.
Portals will reopen in early August, date TBA.
All override requests received by May 17th will receive a response by end of day Monday June 3rd.

Current Course Override Forms Available

Please DO NOT submit multiple requests. To verify receipt of your request (if desired), email

If you are requesting a class with multiple potential sections and more than option will work for you, submit a course request for your preferred section. In the comments field, note that other sections would also work for you. It is not necessary to submit a request for each possible section.

Summer 2024 Course Override Requests

If you will be attending the LA Program semester and have been closed out of an ON SITE course, please fill out this form and submit to Robin Howard,

Newhouse LA Waitlist

If a course is full it may not be listed in the override request options. In that instance in order to register for these courses, you must monitor the system for possible openings due to another student dropping the course.

PLEASE NOTE:  We cannot guarantee permission in the section of your choice. You should first try to enroll in an open section, if available, before filling out a Newhouse course override request. If your Fall 2024 schedule works with an open section, we will likely refer you to that open section(s) rather than a section that is closed.



Who should fill out a Newhouse course override request form?

• Any Newhouse major or minor student who has been unable to register for a required Newhouse course. You should only fill out the form after you try to enroll in the course and are unsuccessful.
• Students requesting permission to enroll in a course for which they do not have the prerequisites, or do not meet the requirements for registration.
• Students who have taken alternate courses to fulfill a prerequisite that the system does not recognize.
• Non-Newhouse majors or minors who would like to take a Newhouse course.
Non-Newhouse majors who would like to take a Newhouse course may not receive a response until August as major and minor requests must be processed first.

If a professor gives me permission to enroll in a course, do I still have to fill out a course override request form?

Everyone must fill out a course override request form to request permission to enroll. Professors cannot give permission to enroll in a course, unless it is a course listed with professor or department consent restrictions.